~ Reprinted from FresnoStateNews.com
Two events honoring Juan Felipe Herrera, U.S. Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry Emeritus, are scheduled for this week at Fresno State.
At 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 9, in the Concert Hall, the Fresno State Chamber Singers will reprise a command performance from their recent trip to Washington, D.C., where they performed for the closing ceremony of Herrera’s second term as the nation’s Poet Laureate.
While in Washington, D.C., the Chamber Singers, under the direction of Dr. Cari Earnhart, premiered several new compositions by music professors Dr. Kenneth Froelich and Dr. Benjamin Boone, setting Herrera’s poetry to music.
This concert is hosted by the Fresno State Department of Music and College of Arts and Humanities. Free tickets are available at the music office M134. Seating is limited for this special performance. Read more about the Library of Congress performance here.
From noon to 4 p.m.Thursday, May 11, a dedication of the Laureate Lab with Herrera and other prominent local poets will be held in the Madden Library (Room 1110, first floor, North Wing).
2:15 p.m. – Public presentation featuring
- U.S. Poet Laureate Emeritus, Juan Felipe Herrera
- Provost Dr. Lynnette Zelezny
- Dean of Library Services, Peter McDonald
Laureate Lab Stations
- The Zoetrope • We Only Come To Dream
- The Analog Jaguar Gallery And Stage • A Way Through The Wavy Wall
- Handmade – Un Libro Libre • A Poem Of Papel Picado
- The Possibilities Of Poetry • We Exist, A Belmont Walk Video
- The Roots Of A Wreathe
Outside Lab Stations
- Books, Strings And “How To Win A Lab Prize In Minutes”
- Wild Lab Media Photo Walk-in Galeria!
This is a free event, open to the public. Please visit a parking kiosk and use code 264712 to obtain a day permit. For information on physical accommodations, call Barbara Windmiller at 559.278.7630 or email email@example.com.