By Mariah Walton
Students looking for unique 2021 summer opportunities to add to their portfolio(s) should look no further than CSU Summer Arts. Hosted by Fresno State, Summer Arts offers one-of-a-kind hands-on instruction that cannot be found at any of the CSU campuses during regular academic sessions. Classes are taught by world-renowned guest artists during two-week sessions in July and should not be missed.
When a student enrolls in one of the 18 highly sought-after CSU Summer Arts classes, they will be earning transferrable credit, perfecting their craft, living on campus or abroad with like-minded artists and will become immersed in a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to study side-by-side with working professionals in their respective genres.
Scholarships are available, and more than 80% of all enrolled students received some type of financial aid. The program offers undergraduate and graduate credits. If you enroll in one class session, you can enroll in the second session free of charge to earn up to six credits. Enrollment begins January 2020, and more information can be found at csusummerarts.org or by calling 562.951.4065.
Course offerings in 2021 have something for everyone, so if you’ve ever thought about doing something new and different this is the time.
- Alternative Print Methods & Forms
- Advanced Painting Master Class
- Pilobolus Dance Theatre: Partnering, Creating, and Performance – pilobolus.org
- Know Your Streets: Knowledge, Moves and Hip Hop Legacy with Rennie Harris
- Storytelling with Virtual Reality
- Creature Workshop for Animation
- The Flash Form: Cross-Genre Writing
- The Writers Room: Writing for Television
- The Voice Actors Ultimate Tool Kit
- The Art of Classical Saxophone
- Collaboration and Devised Theatre
- Chicago Style Comedy
- Performance of Identity: Past and Present Voice Meet
- The Art of Scoring for Video Games
- The Complete 21st Century Flutist
If you’re looking for something with an international flair, CSU Summer Arts offers three study abroad opportunities in Germany, Ireland and Spain.
International class offerings include:
- Contemporary Art in Berlin, Germany
- Acting Irish Theatre in Dublin, Ireland
- La Guitarra Espanola in Granada, Spain
Marissa Mata, a recent graduate from Fresno State who studied English and creative writing, has previously attended Summer Arts and explains why everyone belongs and should participate in this experience.
“Having done the program a few times already, I know that I would be missing out on so much if I didn’t enroll in a course that piqued my interest,” Mata said. “It really creates a space for you to concentrate on your craft, whatever it may be, and give it your all while being supported and surrounded by like-minded people, many of who become your very close friends.”