By Eddie Hughes. Reposted from www.fresnostatenews.com.
The newest national ranking of the top universities in the United States shows Fresno State is delivering on its mission to boldly educate and empower students for success. For the third consecutive year, Fresno State is among the nation’s best at combining academic excellence with economic opportunity.
Washington Monthly, a D.C.-based magazine known for its annual rankings of American colleges and universities, announced Aug. 27 that Fresno State placed No. 24 on its list of the top national universities.
Fresno State was selected alongside seven Ivy League institutions, including top-ranked Harvard University; six University of California campuses; and MIT on the list. Fresno State ranks 12th among the 17 public institutions included in the rankings.
“Fresno State is proud to once again represent the California State University system in the top 30,” University President Joseph I. Castro said. Among more than 400 American Association of State Colleges and Universities members, Fresno State is the only to make Washington Monthly’s top 30. Fresno State and Utah State University (No. 12) are the only Mountain West Conference schools to make the list.
Washington Monthly has been ranking colleges and universities for 13 years with what it calls “a different kind of college ranking” focusing on three equally-weighted criteria: social mobility, research and public service. The rankings are “not based on what colleges do for themselves, but on what they do for their country,” recognizing universities that “push the boundaries of scientific discovery and provide paths to opportunity for the next generation of low-income students.”
Washington Monthly 2018 Top 30 National Universities:
- Harvard University
- Stanford University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Princeton University
- Yale University
- Duke University
- University of California, San Diego*
- Georgetown University
- University of California, Los Angeles*
- University of California, Davis*
- Texas A&M University, College Station*
- Utah State University*
- University of Pennsylvania
- Columbia University in the City of NY
- University of Washington*
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill*
- University of Florida*
- University of California, Berkeley*
- Brown University
- University of California, Irvine*
- Brigham Young University
- University of Wisconsin, Madison*
- Dartmouth College
- California State University, Fresno*
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor*
- University of Illinois at Chicago*
- University of Notre Dame
- University of California, Riverside*
- University of Utah*
- Augusta University*
* Public institution